Monday, December 10, 2012

The Great Livingroom Make-over - Part 2

Much has happened since I posted part 1!

BEFORE! 

AFTER!

To recap - this is what I wanted to accomplish in my livingroom:
  • New floors - carpet and vinyl has to go. It's in good shape but it's a dated finish
  • New window treatment - those weird beige curtains are actually sheets with weird sheer curtains with dragonflies on them. No thanks. (Came with the house)
  • Paint - I think I've finally decided on a colour... maybe
  • New art work - I love the car pictures (taken by friends!) but I want a change
  • New coffee table - it's just all too much black. 
  • Bar cart for dining area - going DIY all over this
  • Buffet table for behind couch - provides more storage and I actually have one, just needs a face lift
  • New light fixture above dining table - that old one... will haunt me
  • New couch - this one is the least likely to happen any time soon as it'll be the most expensive addition but we'll see...
  • Bookcase - paint it or get a new one, it's falling apart
  • Dining set - the folding chairs and my old university desk have got to go
Some photos of our progress:



Floors!! I didn't realize how disgusting carpet can be until I had to rip it up. You think you've done a good job vacuming but all those nooks and crannies just trap the dirt and dog hair. I'm so happy it's gone now. VOILA, our new floors!

We went with laminate 'wood' and 'tiles' instead of hardwood and ceramic. Largely for cost-savings but also for the durability. Dog nails tend to scratch hardwood pretty easily, laminate is more resilient. We also decided that our current home didn't deserve high end finishes as we are unlikely to recover the costs upon selling. Rob and coworker PK did the floors and what a wonderful job they did!

Window treatments! I got rid of those weird beige curtains! You can see in the above photo that we installed blinds. We ordered them from Home Depot and Rob installed them. Due to a slight measuring error he had to trim 1/4" off the edge of one set. Whoopsies... but much cheaper than ordering a new set.

Paint!! That you can hardly notice!! It's a very pale grey that has done wonders for the room, much less stark. I suppose I should also mention the purple closet doors. They add a great pop to the room with little commitment. I originally wanted to paint them chartreuse but Rob vetoed in favour of this purple.  I also added a small shelf (which I made) below the mirror in the front entrance. 



Table!! Well, sort of... we replaced the desk and folding chairs with a standard Ikea table that I bought off a friend. It's a cheap, temporary solution. I re-recovered the chairs from beige to a blue checker-board. While the table will be replaced someday I love that the leaf for this table is stored within the table and the two ends come apart to fold in the extension. Good move, Ikea. 

Bookcase... another 'sort of'. It's still the same old, falling apart bookcase but I've given it some life with some pictures and a crazy spider plant. I moved it from the livingroom area to an in-between spot to help define the two spaces of living-dining. It's less in the way over here. 

Bar-cart... another 'sort of'. I have the bar-cart but I want to paint it. Work in progress. 

In the first picture you can kind of see the corner of the new coffee table. I finished the table this weekend and I'm so happy with the results. I have a whole post coming  on how I built this puppy. 

To re-cap:
  • New floors - carpet and vinyl has to go. It's in good shape but it's a dated finish - FINITO!
  • New window treatment - those weird beige curtains are actually sheets with weird sheer curtains with dragonflies on them. No thanks. (Came with the house) - FINITO!
  • Paint - I think I've finally decided on a colour... maybe - FINITO!
  • New art work - I love the car pictures (taken by friends!) but I want a change - working on it...
  • New coffee table - it's just all too much black. - FINITO! Stay tuned for details...
  • Bar cart for dining area - going DIY all over this - working on it...
  • Buffet table for behind couch - provides more storage and I actually have one, just needs a face lift - it's in the room now, but still needs to be re-finished
  • New light fixture above dining table - that old one... will haunt me - Another item that we have purchased but haven't installed. 
  • New couch - this one is the least likely to happen any time soon as it'll be the most expensive addition but we'll see... - zero progress made on this item :(
  • Bookcase - paint it or get a new one, it's falling apart - working on a plan for this
  • Dining set - the folding chairs and my old university desk have got to go - mid-term solution achieved
We've made a lot of progress and crossed off some large items. The painting was a big job but I got it done in one day and I'm happy with the results. The couch and dining set are going to be on hold as they are the largest financial commitments and the least urgent. I think the next projects will be gussying up that bar-cart and buffet table. Also, I need to work on the art situation and get to filling those bare walls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment