Sunday, October 14, 2012

In which I get fooled by my whole family...

So. You want a story? Here's the story.

Sunday morning. The day after Thanksgiving, two days after Oktoberfest. I'm tired. I want to sleep in. I have no plans for the day. The dog, per usual, comes upstairs at 7am, Rob gets up and takes him out. All very normal and expected. He comes back to bed and says "I'm going to go down and make breakfast, you come down whenever you're ready." I fall back asleep until 9am. I get up, I go downstairs.

Rob gets breakfast out of the microwave (where it had been sitting, waiting... for two hours). We eat, I ask him if he's just been napping on the couch, he says yes, etc etc. All very normal. We finish eating. Rob gets up and walks around the couch and calls the dog. uhh what? I hear the dog (I can't see him over the couch). The dog walks over to the table, and, like dogs do, he shakes. Something flings off his collar onto the floor. *ping* I see it, Rob grabs it, dog goes back to sleep. Crying, laughing, hugging, etc etc. I said yes!!

So, that's all very nice and simple and wonderful. I have a beautiful ring on my finger and I'm happy all over. I start calling the following people:

1. My mom: my mom had previously told me that she was going to Winnipeg for an MRI. Pretty normal. I call her on her cell phone - she's happy etc etc.

2. Rob's parents: I call his dad, he's happy, etc etc.

3. I call my brother. Him and his fiancée scream and cheer etc etc.

I make a few more calls and we go on with our day.

I ask Rob what he wants for dinner, I suggest I make pizza and I'll get groceries this afternoon. Rob tells me that he's actually made a reservation at our favourite restaurant so we can go celebrate. What a lovely thought, that sounds delightful.

The day goes on, fairly uneventful. I start to get ready for dinner. I suggest going early, Rob kiboshes that. Ok, whatever. Finally we get into the car and we head to the restaurant. We arrive and Rob walks up to the hostess and tells her the reservation name. All very normal.

She asks us to follow her, we walk through the restaurant and pass all the tables, pass the washrooms and.... walk right up to the door of the private dining. The door is swung open and inside awaits MY MOM, my brother, his fiancée, Rob's sister, her boyfriend, Rob's parents, and my brother's fiancée's parents. All waiting for us for our immediate engagement party.

I was VERY surprised. It was so wonderful to be with all the people you love most so quickly and all at once. We had an awesome dinner and came back to our place for champagne and cake and some board games. It was perfection.

Did I mention I hadn't seen my mom in over a year?

Oh, did I mention ALL OF THE LIES THAT EVERYONE TOLD?? So. many. lies.

My mom wasn't going to Winnipeg. Rob's parents didn't cancel their family dinner because they had a wedding to attend. My brother and his fiancée weren't busy with friends that night. This plan had been in the works for a month and all of these people knew. All the calls I made Sunday morning were fake - my mom was actually taking the call from my brother's place in Toronto.

There were many other small things that were seamlessly executed and it turned into a massive, awesome, seriously crazy surprise. We are SO happy. Rob's had a month to get used to the idea - I'm still working on having it set in!!

10 comments:

  1. Love it! Congratulations again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great news!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!! Such a cute story!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it - (hug) that is such a great story and I love that he thought to invite everyone for dinner. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! - yes it was very awesome to have all of our loved ones together right away, I loved it :)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely surprise! Well done Rob and congratulations to you both Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooooo fun!

    Thrilled for you both!

    ReplyDelete