Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What I've been reading - Summer 2012

It's been a slow reading summer. Odd as I usually get through the most books when it's too hot to be outside. Blame it on the influx of amazing Bon Appetit and Wired magazines that have come out this summer. Really, what I've been reading is magazines with a few books scattered in. Here are a few...

  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See - this book was recommended by Amy a long time ago and I finally remembered and got around to reading it. It's a very cute and heart-wrenching story about two lifelong friends growing up in China. The story covers the painful process of foot-binding and the roles of women in ancient Chinese families. It's a fairly quick read and I had a hard time putting it down. Reminded me a bit of Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden which is probably in my top 5. Which reminds me... I should re-read that...
  • Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - I'm not actually finished this book because I keep getting caught up in something else that I'm trying to finish (see: magazines). I really enjoyed Cat's Cradle and never had the opportunity to read this one in highschool as many did. It's a bit odd, which is to be expected, I'm not sure I have an opinion, I need to finish it first! (The title is after all 'What I've been reading' and not 'What I've read'!) 
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - did I tell you about this already? Probably because you. must. read. this. The circus... the characters... I can't even describe it. It's all very magical and twisty and crazy and colourful. If you like those kinds of things you'll like this. Even if you don't like those kinds of things you'll probably like this. Without spoiling anything I'd like to add that you PAY ATTENTION when reading. There are many small clues throughout that become important later. 
  • At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks - I didn't finish this one, I probably won't. A friend lent it to me and I just can't get into it. I've never read anything else by Sparks and I haven't even seen The Notebook (which is actually on my Life List). I think it's a bit too much perfect romance and less messy drama and magic than I'd like. Basically what I'm saying is I like magic. Give me books with magic. 

As always, I'm looking for suggestions of what to read next! I like fantasy and popular fiction. I originally spelled that 'fantasty' which is almost more appropriate...

I'm also on Goodreads

SO - what are you reading? What do you love? Have you read much this summer? Any books that you haven't been able to put down lately? Tell me about them!! Or just tell me about how we're going to go on a summer-long vacation next year to try out all the restaurants on BA's Top 10 Best New Restaurants... just me?

**If you say '50 Shades of Grey' I'm going to... well, nothing. If you like that kind of thing then more power to you - I'm just not interested. 

10 comments:

  1. I loved loved loved night circus. I'm also down for a Bon Appetit vacation next year. It's always a good day when it shows up in my mailbox. I really really liked "A Discovery of Witches" and just started the sequel (who's title I forget).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget about your obsession with BA! Let's start planning our trip. I will look up 'A Discovery of Witches', thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Aside from books on timber frame and green roof construction, I've been reading Dreamland by David K Randall. Explores the history of sleep and how modern society has messed with our natural sleep patterns. Interesting read so far... And yes... I'm generally a boring non-fiction reader. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Rob and the non-fiction. Not my bag unfortunately but should you figure out what we can do to get a better nights sleep you'd better share that!

      Delete
  3. i just finished the night circus and ADORED it. it was 400 some pages and i finished it in less than 3 days, which is pretty crazy for me. i was sad to see that it got a lot of bad reviews on goodreads (people saying it was too slow, etc) because i thought it was completely magical. need to check out some of her other books now...

    also, i made the mistake of reading a nicholas sparks book while at the cottage a few weeks ago (my first interaction with him - haven't seen any of the movies made of his books either). i have no idea what it was called but holy crap it was awful. i didn't even put it on my goodreads because i was embarrassed about reading it. i regret the 50 cents i spent on it at the library used book sale. also, i left it at the cottage so i don't have to see it around the house again (and so no one can see that i own it. haha!)

    i am not really that into fantasy but i've heard that the game of thrones books are really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I left Nicholas Sparks in my Goodreads if only to give it a poor review! I won't be trying any of his books but I will still probably watch The Notebook. GOT has been on my list for a year now, I just finished LOTR so I wanted a break from giant series, it'll move up in the list soon though.

      Delete
  4. Sheena E.10:05 AM

    I just finished the fourth novel in the Song of Ice and Fire series (Games of Thrones), and it was my least favourite book so far--but I'm still a fan.

    I'm not a fantasy buff at all, perhaps because I lack imagination. But after watching the TV series on HBO, I was hooked. I think watching the first season before reading the book was a good idea, as it helped me understand the lay of the fictitious land and work out who's who (there are a ton of characters!). Now I'm two books ahead of the TV series, which I'm thankful for, because the show diverged from the book a bit more in season 2. Anyway, I think this is a series everyone should read. It's like LOTR for our generation.

    I also have a sort of sick fascination with the past (highlighted by my obsession with ancestry.com, old buildings, European history, etc.), so I'm currently reading New York: The Novel, by Edward Rutherford, an ambitious historical fiction piece aiming to document 350 years of NYC. I'm only about 30% of the way through, but I'm digging it. Learning a lot, but still entertained, which is why historical fiction is my favourite genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been debating on whether to watch the show or read the books first - thanks for the tip.

      I've had some luck w/ Historical Fiction - one of the reasons I liked 'Memoirs of a Geisha' so much was that I learned all about the Geisha customs and their way of life - something that didn't come across in the movie (terrible movie, don't bother)

      Delete
  5. Irita4:00 PM

    I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows. The book consists entirely of (fictional) letters and telegrams shortly after the end of WWII. I was drawn in immediately. Couldn't read it fast enough and missed the characters when I was done. Highly recommend.
    http://www.amazon.com/Guernsey-Literary-Potato-Peel-Society/dp/0385340990

    Currently reading Little Bee by Chris Cleve. Beautiful dialogue and writing though I've cried several times while reading it and I'm only half way through.
    http://www.amazon.com/Little-Bee-Novel-Chris-Cleave/dp/1416589643/

    I found these recommendations from these two posts on The Art of Doing Stuff (a fellow Canadienne). I'll be mining these lists for more.

    http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/5-books-ive-read-plus-5-books-im-gonna-read/

    http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/5-books-ive-read-plus-5-books-im-gonna-readpart-ii/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the Potato Peel Pie Society - I liked it! Great story and yes the characters are wonderful.

      Thanks for the other 2 recomms, will check them out :)

      Delete