Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Soapy Mess

I should have added this to my 'Things I'm Afraid to Tell You' list.

I hate showering.

I know that it's not a waste of time but it sure feels like such a waste of time. If showering took five minutes I probably wouldn't hate it so much. In this life, though, showering takes FOR EVERRR (insert screaming toddler tantrum).

I feel it important at this time to tell you that I do in fact shower, at a frequency that is socially acceptable in this country.

In an effort to reign in on my getting ready time and to ease my shower hatred, I've started cutting things out.

My most recent cut is shampoo. I no longer shampoo my hair every time I shower. In fact I can't actually remember the last time I shampooed my hair (did you lol at the word 'shampooed'?). Not washing ones hair has been a bit of a trend in the past decade with new dry shampoos, leave in conditioners, and general distaste for dried-out hair that tends to result from over shampooing. So I have resorted to only shampooing about twice a week.

The results: well, nothing. My hair is exactly the same. I still conditioner my hair every time I shower and rinse it out.

When I do shampoo my hair I have started using a sulphate-free shampoo - specifically this one - because it doesn't dry your hair out as much and is generally less damaging. BOYS, if you're concerned about losing your hair go sulphate free!!

Conclusions:

  • I still hate showering. Thinking about it makes me all whiny-like.
  • I DO in fact still shower.
  • I no longer shampoo my hair everyday and have seen no changes so I will continue to not waste shampoo
  • I use sulphate-free shampoo and you should look that up and see if it's a good choice for you because it probably is, especially you boys who might be losing it (I'm sorry) and are very attached to it (I know, I like it too) and want it to last longer (life is hard).
So internet, tell me, am I crazy? Do you shampoo every day? Are you using a sulphate-free product? Do you hate showering and wish that someone would develop a machine that would wash, dry, and style your whole self in 3 minutes?? Me too...

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel you, sister. Both in the shower thing and the hair thing. Working from home only exacerbates the situation. I hate it so much that I put it off and put it off and next thing I know it's 4:00 and I'm still running around in my robe and by that point it's often "eh, what's one more day". There are much better ways to spend my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Irita - it's so true!! Being at home doesn't help, like the dog cares what I look like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know when you find the solution to twice or thrice- daily teeth brushing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shower twice a week and wash my hair then. *shrug* this daily showering lark sort of baffles me. If I smell, I shower, lol. If I don't, I don't :) my hair doesn't appreciate being washed often and I don't appreciate spending the money on shampoo (and water,come to that) so I don't. Nobody has shunned me yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @anne - ahaha don't even get my started on teeth brushing! lol

    @sarahmia - RB showers everyday, sometimes 2ce, and finds it curious that I don't, but I really believe boys stink WAY more than us ladies. Is there research on the benefits of showering more often?? I will have to look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley P.5:04 PM

    Awesome I'm not the only one who feels like this, although to be honest it's not so much the showering as the drying off afterwards! I hate hate hate drying off after a shower, don't know why but I just can't stand it haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off - washing your hair everyday sounds like my worst nightmare. I dread it - and so have trained this mop to get washed 1x per week! That's right ladies! ONCE! It took me about a year so that it wasnt totally gross by the 6th day, but now it is good to go. What I think helps is that i use only a few drops of shampoo (lather it up, wash it out) and then repeat that... and then no conditioner.

    I don't know - it seems to work. My hair guy once told me it is because the first time it takes off the grime/pollution, and the second time it actually washes the hair. I don't know.

    Anyways - hope this might be useful for some of you... I cannot guarantee results for short hair ;)

    H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once per week would be a dreeeeam! Lucky.

      I've always said that if wigs were more fashionable I'd shave me head. Having no hair to deal with is basically my fantasy.

      Delete