The anxious dog helps, too.
However, the appeal of running is pretty clear. It's easy to track progress, set goals, see improvements, and is very easily accessible. No one wants to stand in their backyard and do squats for 30 minutes.
Which bring me to the Running Playlist. What a friggen difference maker! I know what you're thinking 'blah blah blah this couch is so comfortable blah blah blah" and, you're right. That couch IS comfortable. MY couch is comfortable, too. BUT... but...running with a sweet playlist has taken me from wanting to run NO WHERE to wanting to run to EVERY WHERE.
Some of my favourites (links are for iTunes):
- We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris) - Talk That Talk (Deluxe Edition) - Rihanna (Dooce wrote a whole post on the power of this song)
- Dog Days Are Over - Lungs - Florence + The Machine (when she starts singing "run fast for your mother..." that's when you want to floor it)
- Astounded - Discosis - Bran Van 3000 (I've loved this song for years and the build up at the start is a great way to start your run, try to resist the urge to dance)
- Genesis - Justice - Justice (another great build-up song. If you've never heard it - add it to your playlist and play it the first time when you're out running... you'll see!)
- Born This Way - Born This Way - Lady Gaga (Mostly because this song makes me want to jump and punch the air... channel that into your sprint!)
Some links to other playlists: