Monday, July 16, 2012

Not so smart smartphones

This really shouldn't be that big of a deal but it consumed me for three days!!

Last week my blackberry died. My precious, BBM running, email managing, light flashing blackberry went KAPUT. The decision I was faced with should have been simple: get blackberry fixed or get new phone.

Should be simple except I swear I live in the MECCA of smartphone loyalty battles.

In Waterloo, home of blackberry creator RIM, people are fiercely loyal to their choice of smartphones. It probably doesn't help that 90% of my friends are in some kind of computer related profession and are a special kind of gadget whores (I mean that in the nicest way!). There's no point in going to your local tech shop to hear about the latest smartphone offerings, your friends have already done extensive research and will drop everything to tell you why their choice is the best choice.

Is it like this where you live?? Or do people not give a shit?

Being offered so much info was great in that I felt I was making an informed decision but it was also overwhelming and stressful. After all, it wasn't like I was trying to determine who to vote for!

Here's what it came down to:

1. I am a shallow smartphone user, not a business user
2. I don't care about back-end BS nor do I even know what that means
3. I like pretty things!
4. Like taking fun pictures!
5. and playing fun games!
6. I *think* I can live without BBM.
7. RB is an iPhone user and I basically use his phone as much as my own
8. I want easy, simple

Conclusion: I bought an iPhone 4S.

It makes sense for what I want in a device. It is not at all related to any news stories etc regarding RIM. I am very conscious that I may have insulted or hurt some feelings as I should be sticking with the local team. For that, I am sorry. It most certainly was not personal.

Really though, I cheer for the Detroit Red Wings. Did you expect any less?

Find me on instagram @erica_rw, mostly cupcakes, sometimes puppies




1 comment:

  1. all the stories about RIM and all the layoffs and the future of waterloo make me quite sad.

    i still have never bought anything from them though... i am loyal to my iphone.

    ReplyDelete