Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I feel happy of myself

**UPDATE! I didn't even realize that this counts as an item on my Life List! "#54: Buy a bicycle and USE IT". Purchased Sunday & rode to Zehrs on Monday!!

You guys, the BEST thing happened this weekend.

RB and I were sitting on the couch when I suggested he take Boomer for a roller blade. As it was 25c and sunny, RB immediately agreed that this was an awesome idea. I was then suddenly overcome with jealousy.

RB + sunny weather + Boomer = awesome time!

There's no 'me' in that equation :(
Except at the end of awesome but now we're just getting technical.

 It was then that I decided we needed to go get me a bike.

I couldn't go on sitting on the side lines as my two favourite dudes raced into the warm sun of our neighbourhood. This had to change.

I naturally started with twitter, which has become my go-to advice generator on... everything.

I'm not fancy

I got 8 response, 6 of which said 'try McPhail's!' Off we went, credit card in hand and anxiety through the roof.

Oh wait, anxiety and biking don't go together? Oh... what if you haven't been on a bike in 12 years and the last one was a BMX that you rode up and down a gravel road that had no traffic on it? What if you didn't learn to ride a bike until you were 12? What if you make all efforts to avoid any activity that involves taking your feet off the ground? WHAT IF the whole world wants to ask HOW you ride a bike and you feel the need to prove to them that you CAN DO ANYTHING I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY. Ya, that too*.

I walked into the bike shop with no expectations. I walked out with a bike, a rack, bags for the rack, a helmet, and a bike lock. Also an excellent service experience, if the 6/8 recomms don't do it for you, make that 7/9.

We got home, RB strapped on his blades and got the dog ready, I strapped on my helmet because RB won't let me get on my NEW BIKE without it. Off we went!!

Here's me and my sweet new ride. There are 2 bags not shown that hook onto the back rack and hang over the back tire, I am going to ride to the grocery store and see how many bags of chocolate chips they fit.

 Look out world!

Now, when I get on my bike, I hear this kid in my head and it's awesome. 


*By the way, I ride my bike like you ride you bike. Seriously. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel happy of you, too. :D

    Congrats on the bike!

    (For the record, I gave up wondering if you can do things everyone else can do a long time ago.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that kid is HILARIOUS. i want to be like him when i grow up.


    mcphail's is a good bike shop. i would have bought my bike from them but i wasn't QUITE ready to buy at that time and then i moved out of KW shortly after. but i did lots of test rides and they helped me figure out what i liked/didn't like.
    biking is definitely awesome.

    ReplyDelete