Monday, April 30, 2012

Fresh Baby

Ok so I'm withholding any announcement-making until all technical difficulties are resolved. Such is the way of spare-time projects and managing the rest of my life on top of it.

This weekend I got to do something I have surprisingly never done before. I held a baby. A 10-day old baby.

It was weird, and interesting, and cute, and warm, and heavy, and cute.

I was the youngest kid in the family so I never had siblings to hold and I grew up 1000s of kilometres away from any extended family so there weren't any baby cousins around. There just haven't been any babies in my life! Thanks to my friends for changing that.

RB, myself and another couple went over to visit the new family yesterday afternoon. I brought an aforementioned blanket and some food I had made. What do babies like? I have no idea so I went with the 'give the parents a break' route and made them 2 dinners they could freeze. Focus on your strengths!

I held that little baby girl for about ten minutes and admired her tiny little hands (THEY ARE SO TINY!) as she made cute faces at me with her big blue eyes. Her face eventually changed to disgust as she kept turning her head towards me and finding no sustenance. Like 'what is this phony warm place that lacks a food source? Get me outta here!' All that baby wanted to do was eat. She eats and then goes into food coma. What a life! Pure satisfaction brought on by food! Ok, I can sort of relate to that...

I can see how it's a dangerous activity to let your gf hold a new baby. I am starting to hear, very quietly, very slowly, a small 'tick...tick...tick...' in my head. My previous impression of 'babies are parasites' has noticeably shifted to 'babies are.... interesting...' oy.

If you've had a baby, please tell me something awesome about it! While it's starting to seem interesting and something I'll consider, it still feels terrifying!

(In case I didn't make it clear - NO, NOT PREGO, NO NO NO)

1 comment:

  1. Now you wait JUST ONE COTTON PICKING MINUTE. (sidebar: is a cotton picking minute longer than a regular minute?)

    You said "exciting news" was coming, and I am all excited for this exciting news.

    And also, babies? The best thing about babies is their little baby belly laugh. Happens when they are a few months old, usually. They look at you one day and their face cracks into a huge grin with their eyes all krinkled up and you think "S/he is smiling at ME?! I did that?" nd then you kind of want to burst with joy and excitement and then suddenly there is this glorious giggle and Oh. I am crying right now thinking about when Dude giggled last month. It's like they have suddenly become a real PERSON.

    ReplyDelete