Tuesday, March 06, 2012

New York City Recap

You know that feeling when you have 100 things to do but you wish it were only 1 thing and that 1 thing were sleep? I know I'm preaching to the choir here and I know you're answer is 'YES, YES, a million times YES'. Yes, me too.

We got in from our trip to NYC last night around 9:30pm. The house was still standing and the heat was on. All good things. You ever turn the corner to your house and have the sudden shudder of 'omgwtf what if it burnt down?'. Just me? We were doing so well on the sharing feelings theme today...

Here's the jist:

How we travelled/our accommodations:
  • drove to Buffalo, flew from there. Saved MEGABUX. Do this, it's much better than Pearson the alternative.
  • Had our 7:15am flight delayed and then cancelled, placed on stand-by for 11:00am, confirmed for 3:30pm, contemplated driving, rescheduled on a different airline into a different airport for 9:15am. Crisis averted.
  • Logged 20+ km of walking over 4 days, 10 of which were probably on the first day
  • Figured out the subway, sort of? Express routes are strange.
  • Flight home through JFK - with temporary drains from the ceiling... for leaks... and pigeons walking through the terminal... flight delayed an hour... still made it home.
  • Subway within NYC was super easy once I got the hang of it - had a pocket map on me that was very helpful.
  • We stayed with friends for two nights and it was great - awesome to see Brooklyn & eat amazing giant bagels!
  • We stayed at the Hilton New York at 6th & 53rd. We guessed on the location and it was perfect - right across from Rockafeller and easy walking to many attractions - great service, free upgrade, would recommend! We booked through Priceline and got about 40% off listed price.
What we saw:
  • Brooklyn Bridge - forwards and backwards. Apparently it's being held together by duct tape.
  • Financial District & south end - strangely quiet and non-busy, very small streets, could only get near the front end of the bull, took suggestive pictures anyway, view of Statue of Liberty from Battery Park, WTC memorial & new construction.
  • Midtown area - Flatiron building, NYC Library (it's free to go in!), Washington Square, Bryant Park, Union Square, Empire State Building, Grand Central Terminal.
  • Theatre District & Rockafeller - Madison Square Garden's (we saw NYR vs. BOS), Time's Square, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Centre (Top of the Rock), NBC Tour
Highlights:
  • Staying in Brooklyn with friends from Camp Mighty - Chris & Jen could not have been better hosts!
  • uh DUH, seeing everyone from Camp Mighty!!!... and introducing RB to the group.
  • Grand Central Terminal - it's beautiful and crazy! Very busy. We saw a couple having wedding photos taken.
  • The Wall Street Bull - (not actually on Wall Street), tourists were very politely lining up to have their photo taken with him, it was great!
  • Hockey Game - it was an awesome game & very cool to be at MSG
  • Top of the Rock - WAY better view compared to Empire State Building, much larger viewing deck, cheaper. The weather was better when we did this, too which was helpful.
  • La Esquina grilled corn - crazy basement mexican lounge/restaurant. I asked the server for some snack suggestions and as an afterthought she added 'and the corn, I'll bring you some' as if we didn't have a choice. It was grilled on the cob, covered in butter and cheese, it tasted like popcorn. They also have a mega-normous list of tequilas.
Not-so-highlights:
  • Empire State Building - we walked by it and there were no lines so we decided to go up. It was still very cool but Top of the Rock is better.
  • Finding food - I realize in a city with so much awesome food there is also a ton of crappy food. I will plan this component better next time as it was hard to gauge where we would be and how far was reasonable to walk. We still ate great food but it could have been better.
For next time:
  • I will better plan the food situation
  • We didn't get into Central Park - If we were there in better weather I would have made more of an effort - will go next time.
  • Bring better shoes. I feel stupid saying this but my shoe choices were poor. Next time, scrap the fashion and just wear sneakers - it's not worth the pain and the eye rolling judgement is unnoticeable.
  • Galleries & museums - we only walked by these places, next time we'll have to go in
  • Shows - also didn't do this, maybe next time!
Overall - it was a GREAT trip!! We packed many sights in. Next time I think I'll try for some more 'hidden gem' type attractions and more interesting food.

I'll follow this up with some pictures!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be there this summer, any chance you'd come back that soon? So glad you had fun, and so sorry I missed seeing everyone.....
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I feel bad I didn't email you about the shoes situation.

    That was my biggest issue. I was SO not prepared for walking in NY. I figured "I walk in Winnipeg, it can't be that bad"...yeah I was so wrong. We calculated in the 3 days we had walked the equivalent of 2 marathons and I finally bought runners on the last day! My soles were killing me.

    I loved NYC and would totally go back though...maybe one day we'll do a girls weekend there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so good seeing you and meeting your Rob. I hear you on the food thing--always one of my issues when I'm there for fun (versus there for work). I don't have a smart phone so can't do the Yelp or restaurant finder thing, and by the time I'm hungry, I have no idea where I am and what's good. It's definitely worth researching restaurants ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete