Monday, January 02, 2012

Happy 2012!

Hello friends!! Happy 2012!!

How are you? How was your holiday?

I had a superb vacation. I was off work for 2 weeks and I spent it visiting much family and many friends. It was excellent. I spent most of my time with RB's family and I felt so welcome in their home. I've always felt that the Christmas morning rituals are quite intimate for a family and welcoming someone new can be difficult. RB's mom did an excellent job of making me feel like I was part of the family. I can't say enough about how awesome our time was at his family's home. Thanks, guys!

I celebrated my birthday in a new fashion - with my friends! We were at a restaurant in downtown Toronto and it was great to have everyone together, to see old friends, and to see my brother and his GF a second time.

This weekend I was feeling very energetic about the year new. I decided to write down a few resolutions and generally just start writing down all the crap that flies around my head. I think it's serendipitous that I found the notebook I got from Camp Mighty on January 1st, right when I was looking to starting writing shit down. I've flip-flopped on my opinions of New Years resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting goals that can be very particularly measured (ie: lose 15 pounds) but I do like the idea of simply writing down a list of items I want to work on so I can always reference it and keep myself on track.

So, without further ado, here's what I wrote last night:
  1. Reduce household garbage. This is ongoing. As two adults with no kids, I think we can be doing a better job of reducing what goes to the curb.
  2. Be more kind in all cases. I generally want to reduce the negative thoughts and negative things I say. I think if I start by saying this to myself before I enter new situations I'll be on the right track. I hope I will also make better impressions as a result.
  3. Reply to emails. I don't think I need to explain this.
  4. Wear more dresses and skirts. Because, uh duh, they are fun.
  5. Be thankful. I live an extraordinarily blessed life and I think it deserves more appreciation. I'd like to start by saying what I'm thankful for on a more regular basis than one night at Thanksgiving.

None of these are especially difficult and there isn't really a measure of failure for any of them. Really, I could have listed them at any time during the year but January is a good time to make lists.

Are you resolving anything this year? How do you feel starting a new year?

1 comment: