Tuesday, January 03, 2012

2011 Book Review

I don't think I need to tell you how much I love reading. I also love sharing the books I read and then gushing over them. Let the gushing begin.

Books I read in 2011 (at least those that I can remember, in no particular order)
  1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  2. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  3. Mocking Jay by Suzanne Collins (I got the HG series for Christmas and read all three in 7 days. Loved them)
  4. Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda (it was meh)
  5. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (slightly better than meh)
  6. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (this was a re-read and I don't think I need to tell you how unbelievable it is... because I already did)
  7. Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz (non-fiction, slow but very interesting)
  8. A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron (cute and light but sad)
  9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (LOVED. IT. Like big time love)
  10. In Search of April Raintree by Beatrice Mosionier (interesting story, relevant to my Manitoba heritage)
  11. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Good story, loved the different voices in the story)
  12. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (cute story)
  13. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (So Awesome, SO awesome)
  14. The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (no words)
  15. The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien (not as awesome but still awesome)
  16. I Was Told There'd be Cake by Sloane Crosley (chick-lit, cute essays, easy light read)

I recommend: 1,2 & 3 because they are fun. 6 because it's my #1 of all time. 9 because it's brilliant and I want to name my future dog/cat/child Jem or Scout. 13 because it's perfect.

Overall impression: There's a reason some books remain popular for 50+ years. It's because they are awesome. I want to read more of them. I got 'Slaughterhouse Five' for Christmas, looking forward to that one. Kid's books are still king. I will read Young Adult fiction for as long as people are writing it.

For next year: More classic-types. Write down the month and year I start reading a book in the jacket. Generally keep better track of what I've read.

Thanks, Jen for the inspiration to share what I've been reading, to keep better track of it, and to realize I could be reading WAY more (44 books?? DAMN!).

No comments:

Post a Comment