Thursday, November 03, 2011

Sewing

I bought myself a sewing machine back in January and it didn't see much action for about 6 months. At which point, RB informed me that his "World's Laziest Ninja" t-shirt needed to be mended. And so my love affair with sewing was rekindled.

When I was in grade 9 I made and sold cotton purses to my friends for about $10. I had a page of fabric swatches that people could choose from and extra details like buttons and buckles that could be added. I was a regular business woman! Minus the part where I kept track of my spending. I'm pretty sure my mom was funding the whole process as I spent my earnings on books and lunch.

When I went away to boarding school I took my mom's machine with me. It sat in my dorm room and I made everything I could get my hands on. It also served the rest of the house. Unfortunately for me, my mom was too attached to the machine and wouldn't let me take it to university. Good thing given that I had to move 14 times (that took a LOT of effort to remember and count) and probably would have cursed that giant heavy box each time.

Fast forward to January 2011. I'm an adult! I have a job! Turns out sewing machines aren't too expensive. I picked up a basic Kenmore model for $100. Got it at Sears and they were VERY helpful and friendly - I recommend.

And so here I am, getting ready for Christmas 2011 and sewing every single craft I can get my hands on.

This past weekend it was my costume for Camp Mighty (it's a surprise, pictures to follow). This week I'm making stockings. Many, many stockings. I picked up a really easy pattern that I've sort of been following. There have been many adjustments with each iteration. Shall I do a how-to post on these stockings? I think so. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I have a list of sewing projects I want to start! D keeps bugging me that the sewing machine he bought me for my birthday 2(?) years ago is collecting dust - I reminded him I used them for my save the dates...not actually material or typical sewing but I think it counts:)

    I should make stockings for this year too since Christmas is at our house....

    ReplyDelete