Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Infestation


My dog has fleas. It's my fault.

For the first 2 years I had Boomer, I lived in an apartment. All of Boomer's outside time was spent on a leash or brief stints in my brother's backyard. This all adds up to a highly unlikely chance of catching fleas.

When we moved into the new house in the fall we had a fence put up so Boomer could run free at every waking opportunity. Squirrels and rabbits carry fleas, both of these things exist in my backyard. Yard + rodents + no flea protection = Unhappy & itchy Boomer.

So now what? My dog has fleas, caused by animals that uncontrollably enter my backyard.

I read several articles about how severe a flea problem can be. They carry disease and can be very annoying to your pet and they can also bite you. No good. Now that Boomer has them, they are likely everywhere in my house. However, they are surviving because they are feasting on my dog.

Enter solution! I called the vet, they said that while pet store products will work they are not a complete solution. The vet recommended a product called 'advantage 55' which is a topical treatment that you administer once a month for 6 months. It will cure the fleas he has and prevent further feasting. Win, Win. I picked it up, he's treated, we're set. Now to wash everything in the house to settle my anxiety.

Next year I will know better. There's an all-in-one booster available that combines other meds that he's taking to prevent a variety of pests. We'll get started on that right away in the early summer and hopefully I'll never see another flea again!

No comments:

Post a Comment