Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Hunger Games

I'm a big reader. I love to read. I still get teased for reading.

Would you believe I once had a boyfriend get pissed off at me because I was reading too much and not paying enough attention to him? Ya, that one totally worked out...

The sign of a good book (for me) is being able to re-read it year after year. I was asking a friend of mine what books she had re-read and she kind of looked at me funny. Kind of like "why would I do that?". Gee... I guess I'm in a minority here. Didn't everyone re-read all previous Harry Potter books before the next one was released.... no?... Bueller? I'm going to go hide now.

For Christmas, I got 'The Hunger Games' trilogy. I swear I'm going to re-read these books every year for the rest of my life. THEY. BLEW. MY. MIND.

Three books: 'The Hunger Games', 'Catching Fire', and 'Mockingjay'. I read all three books in one week. I haven't read a book (series) this enveloping since I hid "The Prisoner of Azkaban" in my desk on my first co-op term**.

A bit of a synopsis...
The books are set in post-apocalyptic North America, there are 12 districts, and 1 capital city. There was once a 13th district but they tried to rebel against the capital and got destroyed. As a reminder of the power the capital holds, they put on whats known as 'The Hunger Games' every year. Each district, except the capital, draws the names and 2 children (I think aged 12-18). They choose one boy and one girl. Every child in the district has their name put in a hat, even the children from wealthy families. One of the catches is that if you are poor, you can get food vouchers in exchange for putting your child's name in the hat multiple times. The Hunger Games are a fight to the death. All the children (24, 2 from 12 districts) are placed in an arena and are left to kill each other, last child standing wins. SUCKS, EH??

These books are about a girl in district 12 who goes through this big mess. It is terrifying, romantic, dramatic, and AWESOME. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Harry Potter, Ender's Game, and His Dark Materials.

*I realize I've exposed myself as a SUPREME dork but... I'm totally ok with that.
*I'm not as Harry Potter crazy as I sound, I just really enjoyed the books. I've only seen half of one of the movies. Let's not even get started on my thoughts of books-turned-movies.

3 comments:

  1. Ashley3:24 PM

    Erica I re-read books all the time, people think i'm strange too. I just think it's not different then re-watching a movie again and again. A book is really just a movie in your head right? So you are not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, His Dark Materials = best fucking fantasy series EVER! I honestly enjoyed it more than Harry Potter. I think it's just as sophisticated and well thought out as HP, but the themes are darker and the ending is just so bittersweet. I love that it threw me for a loop, which is something books rarely do to me anymore cause I read them so often. I've been wanting to read Ender's Game for SO long. It's on my "Post Winter Term Real Life Reintegration Plan".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have multiple books that I've reread almost annually. I'm with Ashley, they are like watching a movie but better because I get to cast the characters:)

    ReplyDelete