Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Gym

I purchased a gym membership almost a year ago. I love my gym, it's clean, friendly, mostly gym-rat free, and very welcoming. I have enjoyed my membership but it wasn't until this past month that I really started getting my monies worth.

As I mentioned in my previous post I've been really good about getting to the gym this month. I'm trying not to think of it as a New Year's Resolution because I don't like to think that I need a new year to reconsider my health. Instead I'm seeing it as a 'NO MORE EXCUSES' endeavor. Last fall I was buying a house and then moving into a new house, then I was working in Barrie for a month and then it was the holidays. Now, in January, there are no more excuses. I'm so happy that I've been sticking with it. Finally.

My approach these days is to just do classes. I have no problem doing my own workout but I don't work nearly hard enough to get any results. The classes on the other hand are challenging and you have to sign up for them. A bit of accountability in that. I've also met so many nice people. I'm a social exerciser so I really enjoy having other people around to encourage each other. This here, this is working.

Based on a recommendation from one of the class teachers I signed up for an intro personal training session, specifically to work on posture. My posture is that of a hunchbacked ogre. Like Shrek and Qusimodo had little hunchbacked ogre babies. Translation: shitty. I spent everyday at a desk and every minute throwing my left side forward. This has resulted in a shoulder-approaching-ear problem, a one-leg-shorter-than-the-other problem, and a general-pain-in-the-ass problem. This here, this AIN'T working.

The session went well and I was happy with the exercises that he suggested. He then asked if I was interested in booking more sessions. Up until now I saw personal training as something for people who needed added encouragement to work-out or didn't know the basics of working out. While that's true, a personal trainer is also another set of eyes and another brain helping you reach your goals. This means more ideas, corrections, and even more encouragement. So I asked my trainer if he was up for a challenge. I have no problem making it to the gym etc. What I have a problem with is my literally non-existent left bicep and tricep. Actually. I can fit my fingers around my arm as if it were my wrist. Please don't try to beat me up, you will win. I'm sure you can imagine the problems I have with trying to work-out these muscles and I'm all out of troubleshooting ideas. My trainer accepted the challenge and I hope to hear back from him in a few days.

We'll see how this goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment