Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Blogging & Stress Relief

The other day at the Ignite speaker series event, a friend of mine spoke about blogging. One point that she made that really hit home was sucking it up and clicking PUBLISH.

I struggle with this. That 'publish post' button is terrifying. Given that I've kept up pretty regularly with blogging that might seem silly but let me tell you, I have libraries of unpublished posts. Some are finished, most aren't. Most are unfinished thoughts that may have trickled off and I realized that I had no point to my post. Some I feel aren't interesting enough and I can tell my mom that stuff on the phone given that she's probably the only person who cares sometimes. Most of those will never be posted but I have still benefitted from writing each one.

Here's the thing - blogging for me is not a job and my blog doesn't really serve a purpose and deliver any valuable information. All of these posts are just a collection of random thoughts with a few well placed, usually unanswerable questions put up to get your brain moving a bit during the day. Ok, maybe that's the service I'm offering.

For me, blogging is an outlet. Well, writing is an outlet. The fact that I know people can read this nonsense is kind of therapeutic.

An example: last summer I was big into dating, as you may have seen from my Summer 2009 posts. Often times I would find myself in a situation of he-said-this-but-I'm-not-sure-what-he-meant-so-now-I'm-thinking-about-it-too-much. My solution: type it up. More often that not, after typing it up and re-reading it with the thought "What will the general public think of this?" usually resulted in a conclusion for me. Usually that conclusion was you're-being-ridiculous, but it got me further than just sitting on the couch. Writing down your thoughts forces you to organize them in a way that letting floating in your brain could never do. Writing and blogging are stress relievers and provide me with quality time with myself. No wonder I've managed to keep up with this thing for nearly 6 years. It's my therapy.

What is your favourite way to spend time with yourself? Do you enjoy reading on the porch, knitting, or gaming? Do you have any time that you devote to yourself? Do you feel that it's necessary to do so? Do you find it a chore or a stress relief? What is your favourite way to relieve stress?

Now I'm going to suck it up and hit PUBLISH.

Wishing you all a wonderful and SAFE St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment