Friday, September 11, 2009

Graduate Stigma

Hello lovelies,

It has been 4 months since I finished school. For the past 6 years, I switched what I was doing every 4 months with co-op. 4 months school, 4 months work. That routine would put me getting ready to start school again on Monday. Nope, not this time. This time I get to keep working. This time I don't get to spend labour day prepping for frosh week. This time I don't get to go to a keg party every night for a whole week.

While I'm thrilled to have a job and to be able to afford a few extra indulgences, it is bittersweet. I spent 6 years in that routine, I spent 6 years enjoying that routine. It's not the easiest thing to part with.

There is a bit of a stigma attached to graduating. It seems that you become a 'sketchy grad' almost immediately and to spend time with anyone in their undergrad is frowned upon. This is so bizarre. Why would I give up my slightly younger friends just because I finished school? I'm still in town, I'm still me. It's as if you are forced to grow up. You are not allowed to enjoy keg parties anymore, you are not allowed to walk around in sweatpants. Sure, I don't really enjoy the crowds at most keg parties and I haven't left the house in sweats in a long time... but when all my undergrad friends are enjoying themselves this week, I feel a bit left out.

Why do I need to quit this activities and un-friend these people? It's not as if I'll never grow up. I'd say I'm a lot more grown up then many other people my age. Why must this stigma exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment