Sunday, August 09, 2009

SS Update... new dates!

Hello lovelies,

I am having a bit of a problem today. This online dating thing is fun and different but it seems to be a real pain in the ass for someone who has something inherently different with their physical appearance. (There is clearly a story here...)

So I messaged this guy, we send a few back and forth and eventually we chat on msn. I mention that I had a really bad date the other day (as you read about below) so I'm a bit more cautious about meeting people. We chat and eventually agree to meet up. He says something like "I hope I do better than the other guy... and I hope you're not a man!" Oh har har jokes. So I say "No no, I assure you I'm not, never have been... but actually there is one thing that might be a bit strange. I have one hand" I then change my display picture to show him. He kind of went weird at this point. I go on to say it's no big deal, I'm comfortable with it, you'll forget about it 5 minutes after meeting me, etc. But... then he says 'Way to leave that to the last minute' And so I am returning to this endless debate. To confess or not to confess.

I have honestly thought through every side of this debate. Why does it matter? I know I don't want to be with someone who is uncomfotrable with it. But people are naturally going to act strange. I even act strange when I meet someone who has weird shit going on. IT IS STRANGE. It is strange because you don't see it everyday and unfortunate stereotypes exist. That is true and I'm ok with that. It's just getting people past that very first impression. So really, this guy wasn't really that out of line. Physical attractiveness plays a large role in first impressions. i'm just hoping he doesn't think too much of it and does show up on Tuesday. I like to think that once a person meets me any stereotypes immediately collapse. It's just a pain in the butt that I have this one extra hurdle. OH WELL, at least I'm not green like Elphaba in 'Wicked', that girl had it bad.

2 comments:

  1. That is definitely a very personal decision you are going to have to make but I personally think it would be a lot easier to mention it sooner then later. Why invest energy in assholes? This is coming from a very experiences dater. After awhile I always arranged to meet up shortly after 'meeting' as I found that I was getting emotionally involved before I even met them personally and aside from Dan and the ex, no one ever lasted longer then the first date.

    Good luck, dating sucks sometimes but then you get lucky and meet someone like Dan who's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said and couldn't be prouder of you for being such a confident, beautiful young lady.

    I would tell them beforehand just to make it more comfortable for you!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete