Tuesday, June 09, 2009

On trash talk

It's the Stanley Cup Finals.

My team is up (once again) for the cup, against an admirable opponent.

Did you see that?... did you see how I didn't diss the Pens? ... how I even commended them for their progress since last year? Ya, that's sportsmanship.

I don't trash talk. Ok, that's a lie. I hardly ever trash talk. I have yelled a few obscenities at Fleury when he walks to far out of his net. They are rare and they are only during the game and they are AT Fleury and not AT a Pens fan.

Otherwise, I hate trash talk. I believe in my team, I know as much about them as I have time to learn. You might know more about them. You might know a dark secret about them. That doesn't mean you should throw it in my face. I recognize that they have faults but I still love them.

Specifically during these playoffs I have been very ircked. I've watched every game, I've seen the plays, I've heard the calls. I got it. You don't have to remind me. We lost, I know, that sucked. Does it make you feel better to rub it in my face? Please, you can boast all you want about how great your team was but allow some simple tact:

1) State facts, not random catch phrases.
Example:
'What a play by X and Y! They really caught Z off guard'
Instead of:
'EFF YA YOUR GOALIE SUCKSSSSSS'
2) Don't remind me of failures my team suffered, I respect your team, please respect mine. Like I said, I SAW the game, I KNOW what happened.
3) Respect ME when I tell you to keep your trash talk to yourself or someone who cares to listen.

I realize that trash talk is part of any sport. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to hear it. Share it with whoever will listen, by all means. Don't share it with me. I'm looking for good clean, INTELLIGENT discussion about the game.

One last night, Let's gooooooooooooooo REddddddddddd WIIIIINNGSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment