Tuesday, March 21, 2006

chef dreams

If the opportunity came up I would be the host of my own cooking show in a snap. Man that is so my dream job. Cook all day, have other people clean up after you, be on tv, eat good food, write a cookbook!! Ya man, I WISH!!

So in the past few weeks these are some of the things I have made: Ok but first let me tell you that baking pans were buy-1-get-1-free at Zellers so I got a Bundt pan (aka tube pan, aka pound cake pan) and a loaf pan. This all means that I obviously tested them out. SO... I made:

Blueberry pound cake - gluten free AND no milk products

Aw crap, I may have forgotten to mention that at the moment my cooking audience involves 2 people who can't eat gluten (found in wheat) and 1 that can't have any milk products.

Ok Ok, stop for a second. Cooking gluten-free has probably been one of my biggest cooking challenges so far next to finding a mixing bowl with rubber on the bottom. It's difficult at times and I usually just try to avoid flour because using substitutes isn't always the best. Gluten free flour tends to be quite soggy at first and then extra soggy and crumbly after a few days. It also means that I have to make my own flour because there isn't just a straight up substitute for flour. That means that for cakes and pastries I use one combination flour (rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, corn starch, xanthan gum) and another for breads and things like that (starchier flour - 2 rice flours and tapioca flour). this is all because different combo flours produce different results. Ya this is all boring to you but it's what fills my mind everyday. As for the milk, it's best just to avoid it.

So...

-Blueberry Pound cake - gluten free and milk free
-White Chocolate Orange Cranberry Pound cake - gluten free and AMAZING!!! I will post this recipe soon as it deserves everyones attention
-Orange Cranberry loaf - gluten free
-Meatballs!! SO EASY and SO GOOD
-Vegetable Barley soup (barley is a wheat, sorry champ!)
-Spaghetti with tasty EASY meat sauce
-cranberry chicken - easiest chicken recipe you could ever come by

Tonight I am making porkchops with homemade apple sauce, found the recipe in Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals cookbook. Takes only 30 minutes!!

So as you can tell my head is constantly filled with cooking and baking and everything related to it. I look forward to grocery shopping and even more to leftovers. Everything I make usually takes no time at all as I usually make it during the week when I get home from work at 5:30.

Tomorrow I have to make (ok I don't HAVE to but I'm GOING to) 3 loaves of banana bread, 2 to freeze and 1 to eat right away!! On Thursday I'm going to make another type of loaf that will be gluten free so that everyone is happy. This is an unusually busy cooking week but that's because I'm going to the cottage this weekend and wanted to have something to bring.

So to end off, here is my favorite recipe for cranberry chicken:

4 chicken breasts (I use boneless-skinless, your choice!)
1 can cranberry sauce (pureed or with whole cranberries your choice - I think it's 16 oz)
1 pkg dry onion soup mix (no name brand is like $0.57 a package, what a deal!)
Catalina salad dressing - a few healthy swigs (if you want, I don't use it but my mom does)

Dump cranberry sauce, soup mix and dressing into a casserole dish - mix well!
Place chicken into dish and coat well with sauce. Try not to stack chicken, doesn't cook evenly this way. You can stand them up on their sides if there isn't much room just no stacking!

Put cover on dish and refridgerate for 4 hours or overnight. I usually make it the night before because it takes 5 seconds to put together.

Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for 1.5 hours, take cover off for last 15 minutes.

And as my mom says "goes well with rice and a vegetable!"

That's all folks! If anyone actually makes this recipe please let me know what you thought!!

1 comment:

  1. yumm!!
    wanna cook for me during finals? :P
    :P

    ReplyDelete